Our History in Faith
We worship in the evangelical tradition and are continually discerning the contemporary expressions of evangelical faith. Many fine evangelical writers continue to seek God’s will for our age. We are studying many of those writers and in particular the ministry of the Institute of Evangelism of Wycliffe College. Thanks be to God for the gift and challenge of faith in Christ.
Our History as a Congregation
2017 begins Trinity’s 130 year as a parish. What a journey in faithful service!
Our congregation was a mission congregation of St. Paul’s, Grand Parade, however, we were officially constituted an independent parish in 1888. Our congregational worship began in 1855 when worship services were held in what was known as Salem Chapel (now the site of Cogswell Street overpass).
Our first church building was built in 1866 on Jacob Street.
In 1907 we purchased the Garrison Chapel on Cogswell Street and although the Halifax Explosion leveled much of the Garrison Chapel, the parish hall was deemed safe and secure for worship.
A new church building and hall was built, however, in 1928 our church hall and church building burned. In 1929 a new church building was built on our Cogswell Street location.
In 2008 a new church building was built in Fairview and we have the beautiful altar, pulpit, eagle lectern and Lord’s Supper painting from our 1919 building in our new Fairview building.
What a testimony to the hopes and dreams of ancestors in the faith that our congregation has been on the move forever and has witnessed to the teachings and love of Christ in so many settings and in so many ways.